Thursday, June 13, 2013

shoe work at its finest

This is where I now go to get my shoes fixed in Starkville. Mr. Caldwell has owned this business for 8 years, but he said that he started learning the trade when he was 11. I looooved his shop and he kindly let me take some photos. It is chock full of cowboy boots, homemade signs, leather vests, hats, shoe boxes, and some really cool antique shoe-fixing machinery. He makes most of the vests, belts, and buckles himself with scraps of leftover leather from a previous stint in the furniture-making business.

He also keeps a keyboard in the shop to play when things get slow. He's part of a blues band that performs at the local bar every so often.

And yes, the shoe work is indeed very fine. I will definitely be going back.













No comments:

Post a Comment